Sunday, August 24, 2008

Long Long Flight


So, after 27 hours of airports and airplanes I have made it to Cebu, Philippines. The flight wasn't as bad as I first thought it would be. Being a smoker I thought it would be a living hell to fly for that long.

The flight from SLC to Los Angeles I didn't even use a nicotine patch. I get to the check in counter for Philippine Airlines, I find out that I have been assigned a middle seat. I was a little unhappy that this was the case. But what do you do? So smashed in the middle seat between 2 Philippina ladies, I start my 14 hour flight to Manila. About an hour into the flight I decide I should put a patch on to stop my craving for a cigarette. Soon after that I fell fast asleep. (Thank god for travel pillows) I slept for about 6 hours. It wasn't that bad of sleep either. I felt pretty refreshed.

We stop in Guam to refuel and empty the toilets. Then back in the air for the final 3 hour flight to Manila. Once in Manila, I found I was stuck in another middle seat to Cebu. Its only about an hour and 15 mintue flight so I am cool with that. As I board the plane I find my seat. 12E is the destination. As I come to the row where my seat is, there is a gentleman sitting in the isle seat. I need to get to the middle seat. I look at him, tell him I am in that seat and point to the one next to him. Remember that this is a smaller plane. 3 seats on each side. Now, any normal human being would stand up and allow me to enter the row. Not this guy. He looks at me as if I was asking him to give up his first born son. He refuses to move. So I stuck my ass and backpack right in his face and got to my seat. As we sit there waiting for take off, I realize that the things they eat over here must give them horibble breath. I swear the gentleman that got a good view of my butt and the gentleman sitting next to the window ate dog poop for breakfast. I turned the fan on over my head just to get the wonderful smell away from my sensitive nose. Needless to say I froze for the remainder of the flight.

Once we get to Cebu airport, we have to get our luggage and go through customs. I like customs here. You simply give them your paper of declaration and go on your way. It is nothing like it was in Bermuda or Jamaica. As we step out of the airport to look for our driver from the hotel, I was swarmed by cabbies and other people trying to sell me a great night in a great hotel or give me a ride. Thank god we found our driver pretty quickly.

The drive from the airport to the hotel was really similar to driving around Jamaica. The little huts and side street stores look the same. However, it seems to be a little safer feeling here.

We get to the hotel and go to check in. Now, when eBay sent me to Ireland a few years back, I got to the hotel at 6AM. However, my room wasn't reserved until that night so I could not check in until 3PM. Well to avoid that situation on this trip, I made sure the 3rd party company that booked all of our travel so that we could go straight to our rooms when we got here on Sunday morning at 9AM. He assured me that this would be the option. Yeah right!!!! Well, we get here and our rooms are booked for Sunday night and wont be ready for 4 hours. Nothing more frustrating then traveling for 27 hours and getting to your destination and not having a room to go shower and relax.

So we put on our suits and went to the beach. It is amazing. I will put more pictures of the beach on flickr tomorrow. Here is the link to the images.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/beckbeau/sets/

It is now 4:30AM Monday morning here. I am trying to stay awake since I will be working graveyards (day shift in the US). I did sleep from about 4PM until 2AM here. I should be good to go.

Until I blog again, ROCK ON!!!

3 comments:

Christi said...

What an experience getting there. At least the two guys with poop breath were on the short flight. LOL I don't think I could travel that far without a cigarette. You are a brave girl! How many cartons did you bring with you????

Aly said...

I am so excited that you started a lame blog so that we can all see how your AWESOME trip is going! I am glad that you survived the long flight and the poopy breath... and way to stick your butt in the gentlemans face!

Aly said...

I was just checking out your snorkeling pics on your flickr page...pretty cool!!! And your hotel and poolside looks like paradise:)